Nadia Tolokonnikova of Pussy Riot, behind bars during a court appearance.
I love that she’s wearing that t-shirt.
in that it was Soviet Russia (via Comintern) that sold Republican Spain down the river by playing the ‘double game’ during the Civil War, and purging it of leftist opponents? while the liberal democracies of Europe, not to mention insular America, stood by and refused to get involved?
The Spanish Civil War is a really depressing historical subject - even the romantic art that it supposedly inspires is situated within the tale of disillusionment and betrayal. You could say the moral of the story is actually “fascists always win”* - at least that’s how it seemed until later in the following decade, when the US military-industrial complex kicked in, along with indeed the full application of the Soviet same, engaged by the existential threat and real geopolitical opportunity.
*in Franco’s reactive phrase, “Hemos passado”, ‘we have passed’, after capturing Madrid.
You said it much better than I could have. Thanks for the commentary.
- goodbyemisery likes this
- andrewtsks reblogged this from hardcorefornerds and added:
- imathers likes this
- deuss-exmachina likes this
- iamyourplaywright likes this
- citog likes this
- mellorstrummer likes this
- yanguang reblogged this from hardcorefornerds
- yanguang likes this
- hardcorefornerds reblogged this from andrewtsks and added:
- standingbyyoursisterfair likes this
- screamingrazortalons likes this
- grouppttherapy likes this
- fuckmaniknowbuthey likes this
- princepsfemina likes this
- thisyearsmalady reblogged this from andrewtsks
- jddunn likes this
- notational likes this
- hoarr likes this
- hndrk likes this
- semperidem likes this
- andrewtsks posted this